Lifx (Ambilight) Addon for Kodi
A Kodi add-on that controls Lifx lights. In
Theater mode the add-on dims the Lifx lights as soon as a movie starts playing, and turns the lights back to original settings once the movie is done.
Ambilight mode turns your Lifx lights in a room-sized Ambilight.
Ambilight creates light effects around the television that correspond to the video content. Philips claims that a "more immersive viewing experience" can result. Ambilight is a lighting system that actively adjusts both brightness and color based upon picture content. Integrated into the television cabinet, Ambilight technology is aimed to enable the viewer to see more picture detail, contrast and color while eliminating on-screen reflections.
Ambilight technology works by projecting light from the rear of the TV cabinet in a very wide range of colors, shades and intensities. Viewers can choose to have Ambilight follow the color and brightness of the programme content – automatically changing with the colors on the screen
- Fully customizable
All lightsor a
Group of lights.
Overridebrightness/hue/saturation for different states in Ambilight mode - playback started/resumed and paused.
- Option to forcefully
ignorelights which are powered off (not switched off)
- Option to
flashlights once on discovery
- Option to disable the Theater/Ambilight mode for
- Option to customize what is considered a short video
Experimental: Option to undim lights when
creditsstart rolling. (Uses ChapterDB.org)
- Option to delay the credits start time.
- Does not always work, may ruin your movie-watching experience
Restorethe lights to original states (color and power) when movie stops.
- 2 Modes for your Lifx powered media center room
Dimor Turn off the lights when Movie starts
Undimor Turn on the lights when you
- Return the lights to
originalsettings when Movie ends.
- Option to configure Fading time to be
proportionalto the current brightness. (e.g. take 7 seconds to change brightness from 100% to 30%, while taking 5 seconds to change from 50% to 0%)
- Option to
Dimthe lights when Movie starts playing
- Option to change
- Option to
Kodi + Lifx + Ambilight + Movie (LOTR) Test
Kodi (XBMC) + Lifx + Ambilight + Video Test
Other Ambient Lighting Demo
- Download the add-on as a ZIP file from the top of this page
- (Right click on the "ZIP" icon and select "Download Linked File")
- Open Kodi
- Go to System -> Settings -> Add-ons -> Install from zip file
- Restart Kodi and configure the add-on:
- System -> Settings -> Add-ons -> Enabled add-ons -> Services -> Lifx Ambilight
- Configure available settings.
Raspberry Pi users:
- Save the add-on configuration by exiting Kodi before shutting down the Pi completely Ambilight mode doesn't work on a Raspberry Pi due to the way it renders video
ARM based devices/Nexus Player/Any other Android devices:
- Try disabling Mediacodec (Surface) in Settings > Video> Acceleration. This seems to fix the problem. Reference
- Please use Github issue tracker for reporting new issues.
- @mclarkk for creating lifxlan - a Python library for accessing LIFX devices locally using the official LIFX LAN protocol.
- @mpolednik, @michaelrcarroll and others for maintaining script.kodi.hue.ambilight, originally started by @cees-elzinga